Sunday 7 October 2012

Peanut Butter & Choc Chip Slice



School holidays are over here in Melbourne and the children are back at school Monday. While I love having my son home from school and I love not rushing to be at kinder by 8.15 in the morning, after 2 weeks I'm ready  to get back into a routine. Its hard work trying to 'enjoy' the school holidays. Between doing activities with the children, keeping up with the day to day jobs and work,(let alone blogging), I'm still tired. I did manage to get some baking done over the holidays I guess I had to feed the children something - boy can they eat!

Last weekend was the AFL grand final. Most people that are interested in football end up at a bbq or something similar to enjoy the game and catch up with family or friends. The children and I headed to a close friends house for lunch and a few drinks. Whilst my husband headed off to a work colleagues function. Never one to arrive empty handed I set about making some slices and a dessert to take along.

I am always trying new recipes as I get tired of making the same things. When I'm preparing a few things for friends or family I normally mix it up a bit, a few old favourites and one or two new things. I mention this because I just want to point out that I am not an expert cook but I can confidently say I cook decent and edible food. No cook is perfect and even professional chefs have their share of disasters and mishaps in the kitchen, and I am no exception. I also have visual proof for you!


For  once  in my life I actually followed a recipe and look what happened. It was late, (well after midnight) by the time I got around to doing the chocolate top on this slice. I even checked the recipe twice because I had a feeling there wasn't enough copha melted in to the chocolate. However I forged ahead anyway and the next morning when I went to cut the slice the top cracked. I definitely wasn't putting this slice on the platter but it still tasted good and was eaten by my family within 3 days. I will make this slice again, with some minor adjustments to make it presentable and pass it on to you. In the mean time though here's a recipe that actually works!

Enjoy xxx

Peanut Butter & Choc Chip Slice


YOU WILL NEED 

1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
90g butter
1/4 cup honey
1 egg lightly whisked
3/4 cup milk choc chips


DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 180c or 160c fan forced.
  2. Grease a rectangular slice pan (approx 20 x 30cm) and line with baking paper allowing the sides to over hang.
  3. Sift flour into a large bowl. Stir through oats, coconut and sugar.
  4. In a saucepan, combine peanut butter, butter and honey. Stir over low heat for 1-2 minutes until melted and combined.
  5. Make a well in centre of flour mixture and stir through peanut butter mixture and egg. Fold 1/2 cup of choc chips through until well combined. 
  6. Press mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining choc chips. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Cool in pan.Cut into rectangles. Store in an airtight container.

Recipe Adapted from Women's Weekly online.





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment